Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Most unusual pick winner #2

From another writer that wishes to remain anonymous...

About four years ago I bought out a condemned house. It wasn't your typical walk in, pack it, load it out. It was more like cirque du soleil with sumo wrestlers. The house was falling in around us. With every step you worried is this going to send me through the floor? With no electricity you didn't know what you were stepping on, grabbing, etc and sometimes you didn't want to see. The best thing we dug out was an old trunk. The thing was heavy and it took two of us to drag it down from the attic. I even braced myself against the stairway wall and fell through it at one point. Thank god I was almost to the bottom. After all of the trouble of getting it down 2 flights of stairs we barely had the energy to cut the lock off. Once we cut the lock we found all sorts of wonderful treasure. It was a pilots' entire career from WWII we found in that trunk. Diaries, letters to and from home, his leather bomber jacket complete with hand painted art work on the back, uniforms/patches, medals/awards, photographs, googles, caps, headphones, the works. It was simply amazing. Probably a very profitable find, but this one ate at me for a while i tried to decide what to do with it. I knew there was someone out there that would value this more than anyone and that would be this gentlemen's family. Thanks to genealogy websites and the internet I was able to track down a granddaughter in about a six months. I thought she was going to come through the phone and kiss me when i called her. We had over 1000 miles between us, it took a few months of planning, but all of it was returned to the rightful owners. I think that was my absolute richest pick.

No comments:

Post a Comment